No matter if you and your friends are the sporting types, revel in an active day of shopping and dining, or prefer more relaxing, good times, Galena Country has just what you need for a fun-filled getaway with your pals.
- Pedal the Galena River Trail to the base of Chestnut Mountain Resort, then catch the chair lift to the top for a host of other action-packed activities, from disc golf to zip lining.
- Pack a lunch and a camera to explore Horseshoe Mound Preserve. The preserve’s 150 acres boast wildlife plus panoramic views of the Mississippi River and the surrounding region.
- Work up an appetite playing on the Mississippi, then cruise right up to the waterfront of Millennium Bar & Marina for scratch-made entrees and cocktails on the outdoor dec or inside, where live music is also on the bill.
- Golfers, plan a round or two on Lacoma Golf Course’s three challenging layouts. Extend your golf getaway with a stay at Eagle Ridge Resort & Spa, where you can mix fun on the greens with the resort’s rustic-elegant accommodations.
Enlist the Experts
- The adrenaline will be pumping as you fly through the trees at speeds of up to 40 mph on a zip line excursion with Long Hollow Canopy Tours.
- Whether you’re an experienced angler or a novice, you’re bound to learn something while having a great time on a guided outing with Galena Fly Fishing Outfitters.
- At River Valley Hunting, join an experienced guide on a pheasant hunt on one of five courses of varied terrain and cover.
- No need to pack cumbersome gear for your adventures. Nuts Outdoors offers everything from kayaks and paddle board to fat-tire cycles and electric bikes for guided or solo expeditions.
- Playful goats amplify the fun on a wellness weekend at Galena Goat Yoga or with Hoof It Goat Treks.
- From soothing to invigorating, find the perfect fragrance with candles, personal care products and perfumes from Galena Apothecary, Scent Workshop, and Galena Candle & Bath.
- Embrace Illinois’ legalization of recreational marijuana with a visit to Verilife or Botanicanna in Galena, where knowledgable staff can help you navigate the options.
- Marvel at the sight as dozens of colorful balloons silently float across the sky during Great Galena Balloon Race.
- Clean eating is delicious and oh-so-easy with the juice smoothies and healthy grab-and-go options at Galena Juicery and Meal Prep, while the fresh and beautiful sushi rolls at Little Tokyo are light and delicious works of art.
- Reserve a cottage or apartment at LeFevre Inn & Resort, a luxurious in-town retreat with walking trails, a heated pool, a fire pit and epic sunsets.
- Galena’s Historic Main Street will have you looking your best day and night. Find on-trend clothing at Editrix Row, Simply Elegant Boutique, The Neighborhood Trading Co., and Wooden Wardrobe or something sexy and playful at Noty Kity Boutique.
- The fashions for body and home at Elle and Beck’s look even better with a tasty house-made gelato from the on-site Coffee & Gelato Bar in hand.
- For elegant interior design inspiration, visit Vignettes Home. Love the style? Immerse yourself in it with a stay at a modern luxury apartment overlooking Main Street. It was professionally decorated by Vignettes and can be booked through Airbnb.
- Enjoy a sparkling end to the day with vintage and non-vintage champagnes and sparkling wines at Champagne on Main.
Embrace the Classics
- History rules in Galena Country. Immerse yourself with a tour of Ulysses S. Grant Home State Historic Site, home of the Civil War general and U.S. President, and General Grant’s Homefront Reenactment, a Civil War battle and encampment living-history event each spring.
- Look the part as you explore this historic region. Nine Generals Cigar Company celebrates a vintage lifestyle with cigars, luxury shaving supplies, barware, flasks and more.
- Jackets, belts, hats, motorcycle gear and more - you’ll find the ultimate stylish accessories at Union Leather.
- Linger over a fine meal paired with top-shelf wines and an equally elevated view at Timmerman’s Supper Club.
- Wrap up an active day with a three-bar tour in search of spirits - of both the haunting and quaffable kinds - with Matthew’s Haunted Pub Crawl.
What a Find!
- Revel in the thrill of the hunt at Elizabeth’s Grand Antique Co., where 200 vendors showcase their picking in a 28,000-square-foot historic school building turned antique mall.
- The hard work has already been done at Anchors & Arrows and Isabella’s Ltd., which feature repurposed and upcycled home decor.
- Bring warmth into your home with the country charm of Towne Rebel and Beautifully Berkeley (equal parts home story and florist).
- See what Galena Country’s creatives are making at Hello Galena! or during the summer Corkless in Galena celebration - with wineglass in hand.
Delicious & Delightful
- The garden setting at Three Sisters Sweet Shoppe is the perfect spot to enjoy inventive ice cream flavors (try the Kitty Kitty Bang Bang raspberry cheesecake) and artful cupcakes.
- At Cannova’s Pizzeria, the crust is the canvas for edible works of art.
- Surprises await at the intimate P.T. Murphy Magic Theatre. This talented magician’s sophisticated slight of hand and mischievous sense of humor make for a memorable end to a fun-filled day.
Full of Flavor
- Spice things up along Galena’s Historic Main Street, with locally made barbecue sauces, salsas and hot sauces from Galena Canning Co. or indulge you sweet tooth at Galena’s Kandy Kitchen.
- Creative cooks will always find something fun for the kitchen at Galena Garlic Company (featuring olive oils, balsamic vinegars and seasonings) and The Grateful Gourmet Co. (with specialty items for both panty and prep).
- Taste the best of the best and help pick the winner of the coveted championship belt during the annual summer Food Truck Fight!
Sips & Suds
- Take a tour to see how and where the magic happens at Blaum Bros. Distilling Co., then relax in the leather-clad tasting room to sip locally-made whiskeys, vodkas and gins.
- Order the Prohibition shot at the speakeasy-style Incognito Bar. This drink is so good you may be tempted to ask how to recreate it at home. Sorry. The recipe is a closely guarded secret.
- Craft brews with local specialty of Galena Brewing Company. Also be sure to try other locally-crafted brews at Pecatonica Beer Company and Mud Run Beer Co.
In Galena Country, we bring people closer - closer to history, closer to nature, and closer to each other. Browse the latest Visitors Guide for more ideas on how to enjoy good times and find your comfy lodging here!