Rediscover Romance With a Getaway to Galena Country
Sipping on a glass of local wine. Feeling the stress of everyday life melt away during a couple’s massage. Snuggling with that special someone in front of a fireplace in your cozy bed-and-breakfast suite. These are just a few of the reasons you’ll fall in love with making Galena Country, the destination for your next romantic rendezvous.
Located in the northwestern corner of Illinois, along the Mississippi River, Galena is a sweet spot that offers activities to suit couples of all kinds. Below, are eight reasons to start planning your getaway today.
1. Say “ah” at the spa. Nothing says relaxation like a cozy couple’s massage or even a pedicure for two. For example, you and yours can head to the Galena Day Spa for a couple’s massage, which comes complete with complimentary champagne and chocolates. There’s also the Stonedrift Spa at Eagle Ridge Resort & Spa, which offers a menu of couple’s treatments, including the marine mineral soak in the private couple’s spa suite. But your spa options don’t end there. Indulge Day Spa, Healing Touch of Galena Massage (where the therapist will come to you), Sacred Sole Massage & Bodywork and the soon-to-open Studio One Green Spa and Salon are also stellar options for a little R&R.
2. Tee for two. If taking in nine or 18 holes is a favorite pastime for the two of you, grab the clubs and schedule a tee time at one of Galena’s 10 courses. From the challenging Black Hawk Run Golf Course to the nine-hole Apple Canyon Lake Golf, there’s an option for every skill level. Or try out a different type of golf—foot golf—that is. A cross between soccer and golf, this popular new sport has holes bigger than a typical golf course, so your chances of a hole-in-one just got higher!
3. Taste the grapes. Who needs Tuscany, Italy, when you can wander among the vineyards that call the Galena area home? Only a short drive away in Hanover, Fergedaboudit Vineyard and Winery specializes in dry-red-bold wines. The Rocky Waters Vineyard and Winery (also in Hanover) has an awesome deck where you can enjoy the sunset. Get to know the Lawlor family, who has more than 30 years of winemaking experience at Galena Cellars Vineyard and Winery. And last but not least, visit the Massbach Ridge Winery in Elizabeth, which is nestled in the hills and boasts breathtaking views.
4. Go for a ride. The miles of groomed trails through the wooded hills of Galena Country are the perfect settings for a horseback ride for two. Go on a guided trail ride, or have evening outing with a horse-drawn carriage ride.
5. Wine and dine. Make your meal for two special at one of Galena’s cozy nosh spots. From American tastes to Italian to German, there’s a cuisine for every type of palate. Try the chef’s table at Goldmoor Inn & Dining. Enjoy fine dining with a panoramic view of the mighty Mississippi River and valley at Timmerman’s Supper Club. Savor tastes like a prime steak or fresh scallops at Fried Green Tomatoes. Taste a little bit of Italy at Vinny Vanucchi’s “Little Italy.” Or take in an intimate dinner at Woodlands Restaurant at Eagle Ridge Resort & Spa overlooking the picturesque Lake Galena.
6. Shop around. Looking to do a little shopping on your getaway? Make a visit to the Helluva Half Mile, where you’ll find more than 125 shops and restaurants along Main Street. From picking out sweet treats together at boutiques, such as Chocolat’ 229 and the Noty Kity (a family-owned adult boutique filled with items ranging from lingerie to adult novelties), both you and your better half will find treasures to take home. If antiques are your cup of tea, antique furniture, vintage collectibles, old toys, repurposed jewelry, albums, art and potteries are a few of the items you might find at shops such as A Bushel and A Peck and Elizabeth’s Grand Antique Co.
7. Roll on down the river. Take a load off and see all that Galena Country has to offer from a different point of view—floating down the Mississippi River. Choose from a private hour-long ride, lunch/dinner cruises or a daylong adventure that includes themes like murder mysteries.
8. Stay in for the night. Of course, there’s always the option to spend a quiet night in. Snuggle up with your special someone at one of Galena’s luxury lodging B&Bs and Inns, such as the castle-like estate, Golmoor Inn, overlooking the Mississippi River. Or the Jail Hill Inn, home to suites with gas fireplaces and steam showers or bubble massage tubs. The Inn at Irish Hollow offers luxury cottages on a 500-acre working farm in the Galena countryside. Hawk Valley Retreat & Cottages is located on 10 secluded acres of meadows and gardens, where you can take in the scenic valley and sunset views. Or call the historic DeSoto House Hotel home for your stay in one of its suites overlooking the Galena’s Helluva Half Mile.