The following includes information that can be useful in your efforts to “go green!” We are also including information that can be helpful in achieving Green Lodging Designation.
Would you like your business to be recognized as a green leader in our community?
Being green not only means being responsible for working toward sustainability, but it can also save you money. And it can bring in more revenue for you by bringing in more business. Read the criteria below. To be a part of the Green Lodging, Restaurant, Professional and Retail initiatives, you must complete #1-5 then choose 10 additional criteria from the remaining list.
Complete the application below answering how you have achieved these green practices. When finished, click ‘Submit’. The Galena Area Green Designation Committee will review applications on a monthly basis and might ask for a site visit to view your green practices. If approved, you will:
- Be recognized with an icon by your listing on VisitGalena.org for achieving the Green Lodging designation.
- Receive a logo you can display on your Web site, social media and e-mail correspondence.
- Receive a window applique to be displayed at your property.
The Green designation must be renewed annually.
Theses Green initiatives were developed by the Galena Area Green Designation Committee, a committee of tourism, government and lodging representatives, Greater Galena Marketing Inc. and the City of Galena. It is primarily based on criteria from the My Green Galena Pledge and TripAdvisor GreenLeader programs.
Implementing criteria below might also qualify you for recognition on TripAdvisor.
If you have questions, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following is the criteria to be a part of the Green Lodging, Restaurant, Professional and Retail initiatives. Please check the requirements that you meet, write a brief explanation under each and Submit.
Message to guests example
It’s important that guests are aware of the steps you take to improve the environment. Having a small card on the vanity or nightstand with a brief explanation helps. Not sure what it should say? Try this.
“We know that many of our guests are interested in helping protect our natural resources. That’s why we have recently updated our fixtures and appliances with energy and water-saving models, we track our energy and water usage and use Eco-friendly supplies. We also recycle plastic, paper, metal and glass. Best of all, you don’t have to separate them yourself. Relax. You’re on vacation. We’ll take care of it for you!”
Car chargers are readily available in the Galena area
Not sure if you are within 2 miles of an electric car charger? This list should help.
– Galena City Hall, 101 Green St., Galena IL 61036.
– Galena Brewing Company, 226 N. Commerce St., Galena IL 61036.
– Jail Hill Inn, 319 Meeker St., Galena IL 61036.
– Culver’s of Galena, 11371 Oldenburg Ln., Galena IL 61036.
– Goldmoor Inn, 9001 W. Sand Hill Rd., Galena IL 61036.
– Chestnut Mountain Resort, 8700 W. Chestnut Mountain Rd., Galena IL 61036.
Calculating your carbon footprint
There are several online resources for this, although some are focused on personal use. Still, you can find great information about how to reduce your CO2 and how it translates into pounds… and dollars!
– Environmental Protection Agency.
– TerraPass: Has options for individual or business.
– CoolClimate: Has an option for business and specific industry.
There’s greenbacks in ‘going green’
Did you know that Jo Carroll Energy offers rebates for green initiatives to its customers? JCE members are eligible for a variety of energy efficiency incentives in 2017. Items must be purchased and installed in 2017. Click here for details.
Just how safe are your cleaning supplies?
The Environmental Working Group’s Web site provides information about how toxic cleaning products are, along with ratings for cleaning materials.
Click here to learn more.
Recipe for something better:
This recipe is for homemade laundry detergent c/o Annie Wiggins. According to Aldrich Guest House, it works just as well, if not better, than store bought brands… and is 1/10th the price!
– 1/3 c. Fels-Naptha.
– 1/2 c. Borax.
– 1/2 c. Washing Soda.
*All ingredients are available in the laundry/cleaning section of your regular grocery store.
– Grate Fels-Naptha and place in a large pot.
– Add 6 c. water, heat and stir until melted.
– Add Borax and Washing Soda. Heat and stir until dissolved and clear.
– Add 4 c. hot water and stir.
– Add additional 1 gal. plus 6 c. water. Heat until clear, just before a simmer.
– Allow to rest for 24 hours.
– Store in a large bucket. Soap will be a ‘gloppy liquid.’ This is just how it should be.
– Use 1/2 c. per load.
Buying Renewable Energy through your local utility
Jo-Carroll Energy offers members of the cooperative the opportunity to support renewable energy, protect the environment, and reduce our dependence on fossil fuels through participation in one of the following two programs:
The Evergreen Program is a voluntary renewable energy “green power” program available through your local cooperative. Evergreen renewable energy comes from the wind, sun and waste-to-energy sources such as landfill gas and livestock manure. If you join the program, you pay a small extra charge each month to offset the additional cost of renewable generation, in addition to your normal electric bill.
South View Solar Farm
Jo-Carroll Energy’s community solar project, South View Solar farm, consists of 456 solar panels located at the Elizabeth headquarters. Members are able to purchase subscriptions to the solar farm.