The new galena.org offers an easy-to use layout that helps the visitor to Galena and Jo Daviess County in NW Illinois. We’ll take you through the highlights that make it easy for you to plan your trip and find the fun once you get here! Use your desktop computer, tablet or smart phone to easily navigate the site.
The first thing you’ll see when you open galena.org is the top navigation bar across the top of the homepage.
- Use this to view our Interactive Map to find businesses in the area you are traveling or view Jo Daviess County at a glance to get your bearings.
- Get a complete directory of Businesses under the category you are searching. This section breaks it down and makes everything easy to find.
- Read and view our online magazine, The Galena Country Journal, featuring local business owners. Find new editions seasonally! More info below.
- Get updated and current information on our destination on our blog, The Insider’s Guide to Galena & Jo Daviess County.
- Businesses have submitted their printed brochures, download and print from our Online Brochure Rack if you love to have paper in hand!
- Get a the feeling of the county under the FAQs section and view videos to learn more.
- Sign up for our current sweepstakes to win a trip to Galena & Jo Daviess County!
- This section breaks down everything you need to find fun in Galena & Jo Daviess County! From our Events Calendar to see what’s happening while you’re here to our Cuisine section to fill that craving with the local flavors.
- What’s it like here in the Fall? Click The Seasons to see!
Places to Go:
- We’ve put the spotlight on the communities of Jo Daviess County. Antique shopping in Elizabeth? Find out where to eat, shop and stay as well as an overview of the community. Going to a wedding at Oak Hill Weddings? Find out what’s around you by clicking Apple River!
- Our lodging properties are unique and many are one-of-a-kind! We’ve broken it down by the type of lodging you are looking for, plus you can click a community under Places to Go to find one in the area you’re planning to stay.
- Colorful, large photo galleries, business info including website and social media channels make it easy to connect to a business and make a choice. Click the “Book Now” tab when you’ve made a decision for a quick link to their reservation page!
- Do you have an upcoming Bachelorette Party or reunion with the guys coming up? We’ve put together some ideas and helpful tips for you.
- Bus tours and meeting planners can use this section to find lodging, restaurants and attractions that accommodate large groups.
- Brides and grooms can find the resources they’re looking for when planning their wedding in Galena and Jo Daviess County!
You’ll also see our “Where to Start” buttons on the home page that help you find what you need fast!
Our next section is the Galena Country Journal, our online magazine. The first issue features history in the area with a look into the landscape, attractions and historical activities. Nancy Breed of the Galena & U.S. Grant Museum tells us about the Driftless Area and what put Galena & Jo Daviess County on the map. Wendy Heiken talks about living in a historical bed & breakfast and tells us about the reenactments that take place in Jo Daviess County. Amelia Roth has built a business on highlighting the colorful stories of the area with Amelia’s Ghost Tours, Vineyard Tours and Pub Crawls.
As you scroll down you’ll see boxes featuring our blog, the packages offered by businesses in the area and our Events Calendar. You’ll also see our Instagram feed @enjoygalenactry and a link to our digital Activity Guide. Page through to get even more ideas!
The Explore Jo Daviess County links to a map that gives you a great perspective of where the communities are located in relationship to the Mississippi River, the rest of Illinois, Iowa and Wisconsin.
You’ve booked your trip! Once you get here use our Events Calendar to find the fun activities happening during your stay!
- Click the Calendar tab at the top of the page.
- Choose the month of your visit for an overview of events.
- Want a piece of paper to hold in your hands? You have two options!
- Click the Print icon on the top right of the calendar.
- Click the “Print Weekly Things to Do” for events happening Thursday to Wednesday each week.
Have any questions? Contact us!