Explore the Galena River
Rent a kayak or canoe from Fever River Outfitters for a up-close experience!Plan your Trip
Cruise the Mississippi River
Book a cruise on the Riverboat Twilight or Chestnut Mountain Resort's Mississippi River Cruises.Plan your Trip
Scooter to The Vineyard
Rent a scooter from Fever River Outfitters and hit the backroads. Stop at Council Hill Station for some music, then tour Galena Cellar Vineyards & enjoy the views!Plan your Trip
Ride the Trails
Ride the miles of trails through the hills and woods of the Galena Territory on horseback with the Shenandoah Riding Center!Plan Your Trip
Soar above the treetops
Take to the skies in a Hot Air Balloon with Galena On The Fly!Plan Your Trip
Zip through the autumn forest
Zip, repel and scale your way through the woods with Long Hollow Canopy Tours!Plan your Trip
Jo Daviess County shines in the Fall, the brilliant colors among the rolling hills of our Driftless landscape are enchanting. We’ve highlighted 6 adventurous ways to enjoy Fall!
- Rent a canoe or kayak from Fever River Outfitters for an up-close experience with nature.
- Book a cruise on the Riverboat Twilight or Mississippi Explorer Cruises at Chestnut Mountain Resort for views from the water.
- Scooter to the Vineyard on the backroads of Jo Daviess County. Stop at Council Hill Station for some live music and then on the the vineyard for a tour and tasting. Fever River Outfitters will pick you up, so have another glass!
- Ride the miles of trails through the Galena Territory on a trail ride with Shenandoah Riding Center. If you come in October make sure to come back at night for their Fear Forest, a spooky walk through the woods!
- Get a bird’s eye view of the fall foliage from a hot air balloon with Galena on The Fly. Great photo ops and a look at our Driftless Region from above.
- Try Northwest Illinois’s newest attraction, Long Hollow Canopy Tour! Zip through the trees, repel, hike and cross the suspension bridge for the ultimate adventure!
There is so much to do in our most popular season. Check our Events Calendar to see what’s going on in Galena & Jo Daviess County during your stay!
Share your adventures with us on social media @EnjoyGalenaCtry!
Come to galena.org every week for our Fall Foliage Meter to see how the leaves are changing in Galena/Jo Daviess County, IL! Look for this box on the sidebar of our website for a quick glance at the fall colors from this beautiful view at Horseshoe Mound Preserve.
We’ll be updating this photo on our website and Facebook Page every Tuesday!
Here’s the original photo…we just love this view looking southwest towards the Mississippi River.
Here are our Top 5 recommendations for enjoying Fall Color in Jo Daviess County!
- The Soaring Eagle Zipline at Chestnut Mountain Resort, overlooking the Mississippi River.
- Champagne Cruise on Lake Galena with¬†Eagle Ridge Resort & Spa.
- Hot air balloon ride with Galena On The Fly.
- Enjoy a glass of wine at one of the 4 beautiful vineyards in Jo Daviess County.
- Drive US Hwy 20 from one end of the county to the other, add Blackjack Rd. to Hanover, IL and Stagecoach Trail to Warren, IL and you’ve covered the entire county!
Here’s where we are as of October 27,2015:
You can also check the Live Camera feed on the Chestnut Mountain Resort!
See the leaves change on our Facebook album!