photo by @addbutter on Instagram
Galena, IL and Jo Daviess County make the perfect setting for a Winter Romantic Getaway for Valentine’s Day. The spectacular views of our Driftless Region and the charming, historical towns dotting the county set the scene for romance. ENTER our Romance Sweepstakes and see if one of our Romance Packages is the right fit for you at galena.org. Ask us on Facebook if you have any questions or would like more ideas. The following is our Top 10 Ways to Spend Valentine’s Day in Galena, IL & Jo Daviess County!
1. Book the right room – See all of your options at galena.org on our Where to Stay page. Whether it’s a B&B, a cabin in the woods or a themed suite – Galena & Jo Daviess County has it all! Eagle Ridge Resort & Spa, Chestnut Mountain Resort, the Goldmoor Inn, The DeSoto House Hotel and Irish Cottage Boutique Hotel have restaurants on the property!
The Goldmoor Inn
2. Book a Spa Treatment – Use our Salons & Spas page at galena.org and find more info on our blog. You could spend the afternoon in a spa getting the full treatment or have a private massage in your B&B, rental home or hotel.
3. Reserve a table at one of our fantastic restaurants – Perry St. Brasserie was just named by Open Table as one of the Top 100 restaurants in the United States! Log Cabin Steakhouse, Fritz & Frites and Vinny Vanucchi’s in Galena are excellent for a romantic dinner. Holy Mackeral in Elizabeth and Stella’s (BYOB) in Stockton are worth the trip! Use our Where to Dine page for details!
4. After Dinner Drinks &/or Dessert – Fried Green Tomatoes, Embe, Green St. Tavern and Jamie’s Wine Studio in Galena set the scene for a quiet conversation and meeting .
5. Dancing and Live Entertainment – On Valentine’s Day weekend, Galena has events celebrating Mardi Gras all day and into the night, including a parade! Check out the events at the Miss Kitty’s Grape Escape and The Corner Stone for live music and our Arts & Entertainments page has lots of options for fun, like the PT Murphy Magic Show and the Irish Dancing at Frank O’Dowd’s!
6. Shopping hand in hand – Pick up a game & unique jewelry at Poopsie’s or sample the treats as you make your way down Galena’s historic Main St. Take a romantic drive through the county to an antique shop or pottery studio, meeting the artists and local shopkeepers. Enjoy the Chocolate Binge at the Banwarth House in Elizabeth and Mardi Gras all day & into the night in Galena!
Poopsie’s of Galena
7. Get your blood pumping outdoors – See our Events Calendar for many options for Snowshoe Hikes, Sleigh Rides, and Cross Country Skiing. You can also hit the slopes at Chestnut Mountain Resort overlooking the Mississippi River!
8. Enjoy Nature with Bald Eagle Tours – Our proximity to the Mississippi River gives our visitors an opportunity a chance to be up close to nature and it’s beauty. Visit the Jo Daviess Conservation Foundation site and Eagle Nature Foundation for guided tours or set up a private tour with Galena Birding!
9. Wine Tasting and Distillery Tour – Galena Cellars and Massbach Winery have tasting rooms on Main St. in Galena or you can head out to the wineries for the complete experience, like Rocky Waters Vineyard in Hanover! Be sure to check our Events Calendar for Paint & Pour events, mixing art with a lovely glass of wine! Blaum Bros. Distilling Co. offers distillery tours and tastings, then stay to order a handcrafted cocktail in their cosmopolitan tasting room!
10. CHOCOLATE! – Indulge your sweet tooth at one of our confectioneries including, Chocolat, Chocolaterie Stam Galena, the Great American Popcorn Co., Galena Kandy Kitchen and Sweet Alice’s (Stockton). Chocolate covered bacon, delicious handmade turtles and exquisite delights will tantalize the taste buds of the one you love!
Chocolat in Galena
Share pics of you and your honey enjoying Galena Country with us on Instagram!
(Valentine’s Day pic from @addbutter’s Instagram)