Walking in a winter wonderland…
…Or snuggling, or shopping, or wine and beer tasting or snowshoeing…And the list goes on and on!
It starts with one gentle, little snowflake floating down, and soon our charming small town transforms into a picture-perfect winter play land.
Whether you’re a looking for the rush of a downhill run or longing for a quiet weekend in front of a crackling fire with a good book, you’ll find it in Galena.
Winter in Galena brings new opportunities to find yourself and find “reasons” to spend time with those who mean so much to you. It’s also time to find and try something new. May we suggest:
Be a thrill seeker.
- Try your hand (or feet) at snowboarding or downhill skiing at one of the leading ski resorts in the Midwest. Taking you on a fast-paced trip down to the edges of the Mississippi River, even a ride in the chair lift is a breathtaking experience, especially at sunset.
- Or what about a thrill of a different kind? Say, a Murder Mystery Weekend at our local bed & breakfasts? Can you solve the question, “Who Dunnit?”
Be a kid again.
- Build a snowman or attend a parade during our Mardi Gras celebration.
- Grab your sled and head down one of our amazing hills so you can act like you’re eight again, or make new memories with those who are.
Be with the one you love.
- What could be more romantic than diamond-like glistening of snow? Whether you’re cozied up in front of the fireplace at one of our luxurious lodging offerings or having a snowball fight at one of our parks, there’s something special about the fresh, white blanket backdrop and warming up together over a cup of hot cocoa or a glass of wine.
- Make it an extra special Valentine’s Day-with handmade cards made by Galena artists and a romantic dinner for two at one of our fine restaurants.
- Planning a surprise engagement or a winter wedding? We can help make it a dream come true. From candlelit gazebos to enchanting gowns and horse drawn carriages to an elaborately catered affair, Galena has the magic to ensure the beginning of a happily ever after.
Be open to learning something new.
- In the midst of a town of talented artisans, there’s a lot you can learn! Scrapbooking, jewelry making, knitting, cooking, pottery making or dancing. Come for fun and take home a new skill.
- Love beer and wine? Or want to learn to love them? Galena offers many opportunities for beer and wine tasting at our very own brewery and vineyards throughout the year. One you won’t want to miss is one of the largest indoor wine tasting events in the state of Illinois — Galena Wine Lovers’ Weekend, always scheduled for the last weekend in March.
Brush up on your history and the world around you.
- Don’t just read about it: live it. Walk in Ulysses S. Grant’s footsteps, visit his home, or the Washburn House where he received word of his election to the office of the President of the United States of America.
- Celebrate Presidents’ Day by touring or staying in the historic hotel where Abraham Lincoln, Stephen B. Douglas and Susan B. Anthony, among many others, spoke about the future of our nation.
- Listen to the voices of the past when you visit the Galena History Museum, or take a private, guided tour through town from a local historian.
Be in touch with nature.
- Bundle up and experience the outdoor beauty and fresh air. Activities sure to refresh you: Cross country skiing, bird watching, ice fishing and snowshoeing along the bluffs of the Mississippi River (especially during a candlelit walk).
Be at peace.
- Relax, spa a little and spend a weekend doing nothing at all. Our open-armed hospitality comprising a variety of resorts, motels and quaint inns or bed and breakfasts look forward to providing for your every comfort.
- You’ll enjoy strolling door to door to explore the unique treasures within our eclectic mix of shopping. Find the perfect pick-me-up: a new outfit or pair of shoes, home accessory, piece of art, antique, gourmet cooking ingredients, bottle of wine or indulgent fudge, hand-stirred caramel corn or homemade chocolates.
Celebrate with us.
- Galena is a small town that celebrates big. There are always lots of fun things going on-from the sampling the area’s best at the Galena ARC Taste of Galena to pub crawls for Mardi Gras. Check out our calendar of events when planning your getaway!
Enjoy a winter getaway in our magical corner of the Midwest. More ideas are waiting at VisitGalena.org. Let us be your guide.